September 24, 2009

Required Reading (2)

Psst! I interviewed Libba Bray. She's hilarious and put up with the million questions I sent her.

I've finished all of the books from my first RR post, in addition to UNDERSTANDING COMICS by Scott McCloud. So here's the current batch of school books.

GULLIVER'S TRAVELS by Jonathan Swift
"Major Writers of the Restoration and 18th Century"
I've read this one before, which is a nice leg up. However, even reading a text with 18thC capitalization, Swift is pretty readable. On the other hand, my professor is on exchange from France, and she's hard to predict. I am still confused on a writing assignment where she told me to put my references in the text. I can look at it and see my citations. (I use parenthetical/MLA style.)

TO THE LIGHTHOUSE by Virginia Woolf
"British Novel in the 20th Century"
I've been meaning to read Woolf forever, so I'm glad this class is making me do it. Until now, I've read none of the Modernist classics. (Also, when I was in England I attended all the Woolf related trips - she and her sister had interesting personal lives.) I enjoy how she uses point of view. My sympathies change based on whose head I'm in. I am still working out the shape of the novel, or why certain characters are important enough to be narrators. It's faster going than I expected it to be.

MUSIC OF JAPAN by Bonnie C. Wade
"Studies in Music Ethnography: Art Musics of Asia"
What to say about a textbook? This one is simple and easy to read, though sometimes I wish Wade went into more depth. That's what lecture and the course packet are for.

ON PHOTOGRAPHY by Susan Sontag
"Narrative Photography"
Sontag is one of the first people to write serious photography criticism. I like her style, though I definitely don't agree with many of her arguments. I'm still trying to figure out how she's defining Surrealism - my professor told me to hold the question because it would fit better into lecture later in the semester.

QED by Richard P. Feynman
"Problems in Modern Physics"
I may dislike this class, but I do like Feynman. (I just read his memoir this summer, after I won it.) The man makes advanced physics sound as easy as pie. Then you try to work problems and you realize just how much he hasn't told you. This series of lectures is a good way to get some idea of what is meant by quantum electrodynamics, even though it makes true understanding elusive.

1 comment:

  1. A darned good list. I hope you loved To the Lighthouse, in the end.

    And don't you love, too, the Sontag?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...