March 14, 2016

Movie Monday: Zoolander No. 2

Zoolander No. 2 Zoolander is one of my family's favorite movies, so I had to go see Zoolander No. 2 with my mom.  The opening is done as a series of news stories, letting the audience know what has happened to the characters since the first movie. 

The Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good collapsed, killing Matilda and scarring Hansel (who then became a hermit).  Zoolander lost custody of Derek Jr., and then became a hermit.  Both emerge from their isolation after Billy Zane brings them invitations to walk in a new fashion show.

Like many comedy sequels, Zoolander No. 2 plays off several of the funniest bits in the first movie.  It does better than most at coming up with a new spin on them, although I felt the orgy jokes got old.  I also had trouble warming up to the Interpol agent played by Penelope Cruz.  Cruz is a terrific, nuanced actress.  Zoolander No. 2 is a terrific waste of her talents, going more often for a boob joke, including one heinously awful one that's mostly an excuse for Ben Stiller to grab her breasts.

Zoolander No. 2 does bring some new jokes to the field.  I particularly liked that the movie didn't have Zoolander and Derek Jr. instantly bond.  Derek Jr. inherited his mom's smarts, which makes him suspicious of many of the movie's situations, and Zoolander remains a shallow idiot.

Zoolander is an infinitely quotable comedy classic.  Zoolander No. 2 is an amusing trifle.  I can't say I plan to ever watch it again, but it was a fun way to spend some time with my mom.

1 comment:

  1. I was really excited to see this one, though I haven't yet. Zoolander is one of my favorite movies, too, though I don't think it was my favorite on my first viewing. It's the sort of movie that, the more I watch, the funnier I find it. So maybe Zoolander 2 would take a few more viewings to fully sink in?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...